After a very long silence, bar a couple of re-blogs, I have decided to focus on my blog again.
When I started this blog I meant to update it at least weekly and at first I did just that. But as a new blogger, and a fairly new writer, what I didn’t do was establish a writing routine. A routine, I am realising more and more is vital if I am going to get anywhere at all with this writing business. Something that I have realised, as I read other blogs, Writing Magazines and send stuff off out into the world, is going to take a serious amount of time.
So…Here we go – My New Writing Routine and Other Assorted Rules:
- I will write every morning when I am not at work and every evening when I am.
- I will write for at least 2 hours a day when I’m not at work and at least 1 hour a day when I am.
- I will get into the routine of working on different projects.
- I will leave at least two days between finishing small writing projects and redrafting and at least one month for larger projects such as a novel.
- I will update my blog at least once a week, sometimes twice.
My writing routine will look like this:
- Once to twice a week work on blog.
- Two to four times a week work on Writers’ Bureau Writing Course.
- Once a week send a letter or article to a magazine or newspaper
- Twice a week work on a short story.
- Routine to change when back to novel.
Right that will do for now.
On a very positive I do take writing seriously note, I have finished the first draft of a novel and I have re-drafted it briefly once. It is a romance and I really enjoyed writing it. As I mentioned before, I started it to enter a Mills and Boon competition. It didn’t get shortlisted but I am so glad that I did it. I now have my first complete novel. That in itself feels like a huge achievement. I am aware that it is very rough and needs a lot more work but there it is in black and white on my laptop, saved in Dropbox in case of any terrible laptop crashing, memory wiping eventuality.
If I can do that once then I can do it again and again until I get it just right.
So now I feel that I need an image to sum up how I’m feeling with my newly established writing routine in black and white and up and running.
But quite a lot like this…